Counter-protest planned after approval of Confederate event at Stone Mountain Park

0

ATLANTA, Ga. (CBS46) – After its permit was denied last year with officials citing “clear and present danger” as cause for concern, the Sons of Confederate Veterans will hold their Confederate Memorial Day event at Stone Mountain Park this month. But, activists plan to counter-protest.

“I’m not surprised because Stone Mountain – it was designed, it was designed to celebrate racism. To celebrate white supremacy. And for them, it’s home.

President Richard Rose said there was no shock at NAACP headquarters in Atlanta upon learning that Confederate Memorial Day services had been approved at Stone Mountain Park.

The site has hosted similar gatherings for nearly two decades.

“For 18 years without any problems and the idea that we can’t have a legal meeting with a permit, in a state park designed for a Confederate memorial seems a bit obtuse to me,” Martin O’Toole noted with the Sons of Confederate Veterans.

Guns, posters, and even counter-protests have marked previous Stone Mountain events for the confederation organization. However, in 2021, the band was denied their permit. Officials said the event would pose a danger to those present.

But O’Toole maintains that their sole purpose is to recognize those who have died.

“Honor the soldiers, the civilians who fought and sacrificed so much for an independent republic,” he added.

Meanwhile, Rose asked, “They believe they should have the right to celebrate a failed insurrection against America, what country in the world has ever done that?”

Attempts to remove Confederate history, prominent carvings, failed due to Georgia Monuments Act. Despite this, there have been two years of ongoing community meetings to transform the identity of the park. This is why activists believe that the organization of the party is a step backwards.

But O’Toole says, “Everyone is welcome. We hope they will be respectful and listen to what we have to say.

“We will be there with our own counter-protest. When they’re there, we’ll be there,” Rose confirmed to CBS46.

The approved permit specifies that the events will take place from 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. on April 30, with a maximum of 200 participants allowed.

CBS46 confirmed that the original permit application was filed by Georgia Senate candidate Richard K. Straut, who is running for District 49, Hall County.

His campaign website states that “Richard will NEVER bow to threats and bullying tactics from the Liberal mob.”

Share.

About Author

Comments are closed.